Dear Honorable Gentlemen,
Congratulations on your ascendency to the Presidency and Vice Presidency of the Republic of Liberia. The people of Liberia have placed their trust and confidence in you to RESCUE the nation. Liberians are rooting for your success; your success is Liberia’s success. As I did six years ago to another incoming President, your predecessor, here I am again with my wishlist for you:
- Seek to Unify the country by having every county represented in your cabinet with demonstrated competence a key requirement.
- Aim for gender reflection of the population in cabinet and semi-autonomous agencies.
- Declaration of Asset- The President-Elect & Vice President-Elect will lead by example, declaring assets before assuming office, followed by a presidential mandate that all appointees do same before senate confirmation. The asset declaration code also mandate a declaration when officials leave office. When this become the norm of your governance, it would be difficult and politically suicidal for your successors to skirt or undo without provoking an outcry from the public. This will be a signifying down payment on government accountability and fighting corruption. To do this at the start of your administration will prolong a much needed honeymoon with the electorate; it will also enable you to accrue considerable political capital cashable when the difficult times come.
- Restructure Salary of Legislators. The first budget of the President to the Legislature will contain a 15%-25% salary reduction for the people’s Legislators. Vice President Koung, key Unity Party and coalition legislators can consult and collaborate with colleagues to reach a consensus. The savings must be reallocated to doctors, nurses and healthcare technicians at public health institutions. After the manifestation of the peoples will, it would be interesting to see legislators who would dare vote against this pay raise for more deserving government employees.
- Resource and restore JFK Hospital to viable status by end of 2024 enhancing the service to the poor and low income.
- Resource and restore the University of Liberia by end of 2024 to a reputable pride of learning institution and efficiency.
Let us all roll up our sleeves striving to make Liberia a One Liberia, not a stratified Liberia.
“With God Above Our Rights To Prove, We Will O’er All Prevail”.
Handel Kiazolu C. Diggs