The Kartwe, Margai and Caulker families sadly announce the home going of their beloved mother, grandmother, great grandmother and auntie, Mother Betty Marian Caulker Kartwe, in her 83rd year. Mama Betty left to be with the Lord on June 28, 2023 surrounded by her devoted children, daughter-in-law and niece at the home of her son Jacob Jr. and his wife Valerie in Lilburn, GA, USA.
“Mama”, as she was affectionately known by her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, was born to the union of Mr. William Caulker and Mrs. Regina Margai Caulker on May 23, 1940 in Gbangbatoke, Sierra Leone, West Africa. In December of 1967, she married the love of her life and best friend, the late Rev. Jacob Nimeju Kartwe Sr., in Freetown, Sierra Leone (West Africa). She dutifully followed her husband to his home country, Liberia, leaving behind her life as a broadcaster at the Sierra Leonean National Television Station, and her family and other relatives.
She and her husband, along with their two daughters, Margaret Baleh and Esther Gbeneh (from previous relationships), resided in Ganta, Nimba County, Liberia. Their union was further blessed with three more children: Mary Gmasnoh, Regina Titi and Jacob Nimeju Jr. Mama occupied multiple roles in life: a loving wife to her husband (Jacob Sr.), a ministry partner as Sunday school teacher and a mother to her five children and a host of relatives and church members. She also served as executive secretary to the bank director at the Chase Manhattan Bank (Monrovia, Liberia), administrative assistant to missionaries Dr. Horton and Dr. Khan of the United Methodist Conference (Liberia) and co-host on the Christian Television Program titled “Concern” sponsored by the United Methodist / Lutheran churches on the local television channel, ELTV. This program was designed primarily to highlight the issues faced by prisoners and also to share with them the gospel and help cater to their needs.
Mrs. Betty Marian Caulker Kartwe is survived by her children: Rev. Margaret Baleh Kartwe, Esther Kartwe Brown (Samuel), Mary Gmasnoh Kartwe, Regina Titi Kartwe Samu (Alfred), Jacob Nimeju Kartwe Jr. (Valerie), Adeline Momoh, Victoria Dahn, nineteen grandchildren twenty-six great-grandchildren and a host of relatives and extended families in Liberia, Sierra Leone, USA and the UK.
HOME GOING CELEBRATION INFOS FOR “MAMA” AS FOLLOW:
- Celebration Of Life
Saturday, July 15, 2023
Gregory B. Levitt & Sons Funeral Home
914 Scenic Hwy S
Lawrenceville, GA 30045
- Viewing Of The Body: 9am to 10:30am
- Funeral Service Follows: 11am
- Burial: 925 Lawrenceville Hwy, Lawrenceville, GA 30046
- Repast: 3315 Sugarloaf Pkwy Suite 15, Lawrenceville, GA 30043
- Lodging: LA Quinta Inn & Suites By Wyndham Snellville-Stone Mountain 2971 Main St. W. Snellville, GA 30039 / Hampton Inn & Suites Snellville, 1905 Pharrs Road, Snellville, Georgia 30078 USA
- Family Contacts: Rev. Margaret B. Kartwe (404) 426-8342; Esther Kartwe Brown (978) 364-6299; Mary Gmasnoh Kartwe (470) 854-0522; Regina Titi Kartwe Samu (678) 508-1902; Jacob Nimeju Kartwe Jr. (678) 908-8900; Adeline Momoh (703) 728-9804; Victoria Tuah Dahn (302) 480-0609; Gbalee Blamo (978) 853-6080.